Assalam O Alikum (Peace be on you),
The above is a picture from one of the events launching ACCA’s last pre-budget proposals. We’re planning for a revamp of the ACCA taxation committee and opening up to have some more competent professionals join us with their valuable contributions for the profession, country and their Alma-mater.
Below is the snapshot of a recent email from ACCA to members across Pakistan. Please feel free to share this in your circle and get in touch if you’re the right person.
Dear ACCA Members
ACCA Pakistan MNP has decided to setup a working group under the Taxation Subcommittee. The objective of this working group will be to interact with the Federal Board of Revenue initially and expand its remit to the Provincial Revenue Authorities under the leadership of Omer Zaheer Meer, FCCA, Head of Taxation Sub Committee, ACCA Pakistan and offer the following:
- Provide regular feedback and suggestions on circulars/policy matters pertaining to taxation
- Prepare budget proposals (initially federal and later on expand them to the provincial proposals too) and forward them to Federal and Provincial Ministries of Finance.
- The budget proposals should be prepared in such a way that they present a holistic as well as sectoral suggestions for Pakistan’s Annual Budget
- Discuss, deliberate and critically evaluate issues pertaining to taxation and present the critical evaluation to Federal and Provincial
- Profile the ACCA Pakistan Members Network Panel and the subcommittee to the taxation regulators in Pakistan
This working group will consist of 3-5 members working in the taxation sector in strategic positions with considerable experience of the sector. Members with a diverse view point on taxation of different business sectors are encouraged to share their CVs and a personal statement describing their claim to merit for these position with us.
Those members who are keen to join this working group should send us their CV and personal statement by replying to this email. We will look forward to your responses by 24 February 2017.
Haroon A Jan
Regional Head of Member Affairs – MENASA
61-C Main Gulberg Lahore Pakistan
Omer Zaheer Meer,
Millennium Law & Corporate Company
Peace be on you!
It’s with extreme pleasure that I announce that the prestigious Exceptional Public Value Award is to be awarded to myself by Ms. Helen Brand, OBE, CEO ACCA (the largest accountancy body globally). I’ll share the details with you after receiving the award, Insha Allah.
I’m honored by this privilege and grateful to ACCA for the recognition of my:
“contributions in the field of Budget and Taxation including but not limited to
- the drafting of Anti-Graft Legislation focused on Undisclosed Foreign Income & Assets which was later adopted by the Treasury,
- work done on the Regional Research Study on Indirect Taxation across South Asia and UAE,
- MOU’s with Tax Bars,
- Collaborations with Chambers of Commerce and Tax Bars,
- Pre & Post Budget proposals and seminars,
- continued member education events particularly on Taxation and
- opportunities created through R&I sessions with key employers.”
Last but not the least, I’m thankful to you all for your support and prayers particularly my parents, siblings, mentors, colleagues and friends.
Omer Zaheer Meer
It is with great pleasure that I share with you that ACCA’s report on ” Indirect Taxes – Current Trends across South Asia & UAE” has been published.
We at Millennium Law & Corporate Company are honored to be a part of this fantastic initiative and I’d like to take this opportunity to thank ACCA for their kind acknowledgement in the published version and otherwise.
Below are the direct link to the report and a brief summary of the report. I hope this is of benefit to you.
Please find below the link to the research report on ACCA’s website and share your kind feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org:
Research Report on Indirect Taxes
Below is a very brief summary of key highlights, courtesy ACCA:
Tax is an instrument used to generate revenue and regulate national economies, it can be broadly divided into two categories: direct and indirect.
In many developing countries the contribution of VAT – an indirect tax – in total tax collections is increasing over time. This can be owing to an increase in unemployment or low per capita income as well as to innate features of VAT that make it less prone to tax evasion than income taxes, which are easier to evade/avoid.
Given the importance of VAT, this study discusses its features and the problems commonly faced by South Asian countries. Further, we look at the United Arab Emirates (UAE) which is in the process of introducing VAT and may benefit from the developments made in the VAT systems of various other countries.
KEY RECOMMENDATIONS IN THE REPORT INCLUDE:
- Reduce tax concessions and tax amnesties, and avoid special regimes to protect the rudimentary character of VAT as a modern consumption tax.
- Limit exemptions primarily to health, education, charity and basic essential food items (excluding those supplied at restaurants and hotels, etc.)
- Use the services of VAT-experienced technical experts and professionals for smooth and trouble-free VAT implementation and management.
- Reduce compliance cost but attract optimal voluntary compliance by building incentives into the tax system.
- Share data among different government departments, organisations, institutions, authorities and agencies as well as between different government departments at regional and global level for BTB (broadening tax base) and anti-tax-evasion/avoidance purposes.
- Make the VAT system a seamlessly integrated unified tax management regime with preference for single hand and single rate tax administration with a uni-declaration mechanism (in countries where powers to collect VAT are divided between the central/federal governments and the state/provincial governments).
Dear Readers and Friends,
Assalam O Alikum! (Peace be on you),
The constant suggestion by many of you to launch a formal Youtube channel covering my key public and/or professional engagements with a dimension of educating and enlightening has been turned into a reality.
It is with pleasure that I announce on this auspicious day of Friday that my team has successfully launched the same. The channel can be accessed at:
There are already some very interesting videos covering some of the key current issues and opportunities such as Immovable Property Taxation Issues, CPEC, Budget Proposals, Finance Act, e.t.c.
We aim to constantly update our channel with valuable knowledge sharing videos. Your feedback and appreciation would be the fuel to keep us going in this effort. I hope you find this useful and wish you all the best in your lives and careers.
Below is a picture from and video of the historic inaugural session of Think Ahead with ACCA (a TED Talk inspired program) on CPEC with me, resulting in ACCA becoming the pioneer accountancy body to launch such a program.
Mr. Hammad Azim (Head of Marketing, ACCA Pak) hosted the program. It was a phenomenal success generating over 27,000 views in just 2-3 days with extremely positive feed-backs. The technical content was highly appreciated and worked towards capacity building. The focus of this initiative was on expanding the footprint of and creating opportunities for ACCA fraternity.
It is my vision and aim to build upon such historic successes for the betterment and professional development of ACCA fraternity.
This can only be possible with your vote and kind support in the ongoing MNP elections. For me, MNP is a platform to increase my positive contributions for ACCA fraternity, the profession and thereby our beloved Pakistan.
Please visit: My Professional Profile, Achievements for ACCA & Manifesto to consider me worthy of your valuable vote & kind support.
Thanks in anticipation.
Omer Zaheer Meer (ACCA MNP Candidate Sr. No: 23)
Below is the the live program I participated in today at 92 News HD: