— Omer Zaheer,CFA,FCCA (@OmerZaheerMeer) April 23, 2017
Peace be on you!
It’s with extreme pleasure that I announce that the prestigious Exceptional Public Value Award is to be awarded to myself by Ms. Helen Brand, OBE, CEO ACCA (the largest accountancy body globally). I’ll share the details with you after receiving the award, Insha Allah.
I’m honored by this privilege and grateful to ACCA for the recognition of my:
“contributions in the field of Budget and Taxation including but not limited to
- the drafting of Anti-Graft Legislation focused on Undisclosed Foreign Income & Assets which was later adopted by the Treasury,
- work done on the Regional Research Study on Indirect Taxation across South Asia and UAE,
- MOU’s with Tax Bars,
- Collaborations with Chambers of Commerce and Tax Bars,
- Pre & Post Budget proposals and seminars,
- continued member education events particularly on Taxation and
- opportunities created through R&I sessions with key employers.”
Last but not the least, I’m thankful to you all for your support and prayers particularly my parents, siblings, mentors, colleagues and friends.
Omer Zaheer Meer
Peace be on you,
It is with pleasure that we share that ACCA, the largest accountancy body in the world recently published a detailed report on our firm Millennium Law & Corporate Company (MLCC) and recognized it as the pioneer ACCA practicing firm in Pak. You can directly access it at: ACCA’s published profile of MLCC
or continue to read below and let us know your valuable views.
Millennium Law and Corporate Company (MLCC) becomes the Pioneer ACCA practicing firm in Pakistan
Profile of Millennium Law & Corporate Company
- 30 + Years’ “Young”
Millennium Law & Corporate Company (MLCC) has a background of thirty (30) years plus history of professional excellence stemming from its parent practice. It used to be focused solely on legal practice including corporate matters.
- Way Forward – One stop solution
MLCC was expanded to include a new division for providing ACCA centered services. This led to the inclusion of the areas of taxation, corporate services, internal audit, advisory, risk management and trainings in addition to the other legal matters within the services offered by MLCC.
The firm is setup with specialized teams dealing with relevant areas under four (4) partners, two of whom are ACCA members while one is an ex legal advisor Federal Land Commission (Government of Pakistan) and another is an ex deputy Attorney General of Pakistan.
- Pioneer ACCA Practising Firm in Pakistan
In 2015, the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA) took a giant leap in Pakistan and initiated practising license program for the country.
- MLCC became the pioneer practising firm in Pakistan with
- Omer Zaheer Meer FCCA (the managing partner of MLCC) being awarded the first ever ACCA practising license in Pakistan.
Before that history was made when:
- Omer Zaheer Meer FCCA became the first ever ACCA member to get admitted to the prestigious Lahore Tax Bar Association (LTBA) during 2009/10.
- He was later joined by his brother Mr. Ali Zaheer Meer ACCA who is now a partner at MLCC and another ACCA member at LTBA.
Millennium Law & Corporate Company has built a reputation for quality services based on value creation and issue resolutions with time-specified deliverables. It is now the premier ACCA practising firm in the country and one of the leaders in the taxation, advisory and corporate services sectors.
- Distinguished Collaborations
MLCC through its partners is currently represented at the Taxation Committee of Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Chairing the Liaison and sitting on the publication committees of LTBA, Chairing the Taxation Committee of ACCA, Global Tax Forum of ACCA and several think-tanks including Hamdard Thinkers’ Forum and Millat Thinkers’ Forum. MLCC’s clientele also includes some of the most distinguished names. Out key clients and/or associations are as below:
Read the rest of this section directly at: ACCA’s published profile of MLCC
Why was MLCC started?
Managing Partner’s Views:
It is my strong and educated belief that the ACCA qualification and a proper training program equips one with the relevant skills, education and expertise to be the best not just technically but on the value addition side of being an entrepreneur.
With an early start to my career resulting is sufficient experience, I felt it was the right time to launch an ACCA practising firm on my return from UK to Pakistan. Also it was an opportunity to contribute back to the profession and ACCA fraternity in several ways.
However ACCA did not have a local practising license back then. Nevertheless we upheld the brand ACCA and pioneered in an area deemed alien for ACCA members at the time, i.e. local taxation. Within a short span of time we stood out of the crowd delivering excellence and quality beyond norms of the market. We then started expanding into other areas such as corporate services, advisory, risk management, e.t.c. with equally good results.
The milestones so far
Since becoming the pioneer ACCA practising firm in Pakistan some of the major milestones achieved by MLCC are outlined below:
- Establishment of our non-legal services headquarter at the prime location of Bashir Mansion, 2 Turner Road, Lahore which is opposite FBR, close to Appellate Tribunal, behind Lahore High Court, adjacent AG Office and practically in the hub of all the action.
- Establishment of a branch office in DHA, Lahore for facilitation of our clientele from the posh areas.
- Award of the practising license and hence becoming the pioneer ACCA practising firm in Pakistan
- Joining of Mr. Ali Zaheer Meer as the second ACCA partner of the Firm
- Expansion intro value addition areas beyond taxation including internal audit, advisory, risk management, corporate services, e.t.c.
- Start of our training division
- Partnership with ACCA Pakistan for the CPD trainings of ACCA fraternity and beyond
- Attendance of our CPD programs and training events by high-profile professionals including owners, directors and even non-ACCA partners of other renowned firms
- Publication and launch of a research study on indirect taxation across the MESA (Middle-East and South-Asia region) in collaboration with ACCA and EY
- Working with top names in various sectors including the likes of National Bank of Pakistan, Habib Bank Limited, MPDD, ACCA, LCCI, KCCI, LTBA, e.t.c.
- Pre-launch of our ACCA trainees induction program
Advantages and benefits of ACCA firms
ACCA firms offer several benefits for the ACCA fraternity, the business community and the society at large. Some of the major ones include:
- Opening up of new horizons and opportunities
- Jobs creation
- Quality services
- Greater acceptance of ACCA locally
- Entrepreneurial rewards
- Increased collaborations with worthy partners
- Greater exposure
With the advent of CPEC and the corresponding developments, there is a lot of potential for quality accountants and firms offering the right services. Yes it will be challenging but the rewards are more than commensurate. So have a dream and turn it into a reality.
Sent: Monday, September 26, 2016 6:05 PM
Subject: Webinar on Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA)
|The Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) is a recently implemented law which creates a new reporting and withholding regime for financial institutions but impacts individuals and other businesses too. FATCA, despite being a US regulation, has global implications as it effectively covers all US persons. State Bank of Pakistan (SBP), Pakistan Banks Association (PBA), Securities & Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP), individual commercial banks, non-bank financial institutions and other stakeholders in their respective capacities
It is a very important area for the banking and financial services sector, and equally important for professionals from other sectors and industries.
Keeping in view of our tradition of keeping our members and affiliates up-to-date on important professional developments, we’ve organized a session on this current and highly in-demand topic.
Mr. Omer Zaheer Meer is an experienced accounting, finance, management and economics professional holding FCCA (senior ACCA member), CFA Charter, the Anti-Money Laundering Specialization, BSc (Hons) in Applied Accounting and several professional certifications from UK along-with 15 years of experience gained in top management positions in leading British and Pakistani companies.
Currently, he is the Managing Partner at Millennium Law & Corporate Company (pioneer ACCA practising firm in Pakistan) and a Director on the board of multiple organizations. Mr. Meer is an experienced trainer having worked with esteemed organizations in corporate, public and academic sectors. His portfolio includes having conducted mandatory promotional trainings of Government Officers at MPDD (Punjab Govt) as well as conducting programs at National Bank of Pakistan (NBP), HBL, LCCI, LTBA, Bahria University (Pak Navy), UET, e.t.c.
He is a regular contributor to various national and international publications like Daily Nation, Daily Times, Express Tribune and Blue Chip magazine.
Mr. Meer is also a life member and third-time serving Chairman Liaison Committee of Lahore Tax Bar Association, Member of Global Taxation Forum (ACCA UK), Member MNP and Chairman of the Taxation Subcommittee of ACCA (Pak), Member Taxation Committee LCCI, Director Millat Thinkers’ Forum, Member Hamdard Thinkers’ Forum and professionally associated with globally reputed organizations like ACCA (UK), CFAI (USA), UKSIP (UK), PRIMA (USA), PRMIA (USA), MPDD (PAK) & www.mymfb.com
I. What is Money Laundering?
II. Sources of Black Money
III. Money Laundering – Method
IV. Notable Cases of Money Laundering
V. Anti – Money Laundering (AML)
VI. Effective AML System
VIII. FATCA Regulations (including for Individual/Sole Proprietorship Accounts, Entities
IX. Q & A Session
When and Where
The participation fee for this webinar is Rs.5,000 and can be paid at all the ACCA Pakistan Offices to the Customer Services representatives.
The fee is fully waived for ACTIVE ACCA Members and Affiliates.
Haroon A Jan
Head of Member Affairs
61-C Main Gulberg Lahore Pakistan
cel: +92 (0)300 8466 322
tel: +92 (0)42 3598 7022
fax: +92 (0)42 3575 9346
Breaking new ground by combining our world leading ACCA Qualification with a Masters…
Dear Readers and Friends,
Assalam O Alikum! (Peace be on you),
The constant suggestion by many of you to launch a formal Youtube channel covering my key public and/or professional engagements with a dimension of educating and enlightening has been turned into a reality.
It is with pleasure that I announce on this auspicious day of Friday that my team has successfully launched the same. The channel can be accessed at:
There are already some very interesting videos covering some of the key current issues and opportunities such as Immovable Property Taxation Issues, CPEC, Budget Proposals, Finance Act, e.t.c.
We aim to constantly update our channel with valuable knowledge sharing videos. Your feedback and appreciation would be the fuel to keep us going in this effort. I hope you find this useful and wish you all the best in your lives and careers.
May this writeup find you in the best of spirits.
You may have already read my general professional introduction. If you haven’t please have a look at:
Major Endeavors/Achievements for ACCA Community:
This is however to briefly introduce some of the brilliant endeavors undertaken for the development of ACCA community and thereby the accountancy profession in Pakistan.
- Conducted and proposed CPDs particularly focused on taxation and local corporate laws to equip the members, affiliates and students with necessary technical skills in this extremely important area. (View Details )
- Conducted almost all the taxation CPDs and one-third of the total CPDs for ACCA fraternity.
- They’ve been phenomenally successful within the ACCA community and well received by the members of other accountancy bodies too, which in itself speaks of the top quality of the offering. The attendees included the top officials of firms, MNCs, businesses and public sector organizations.
- These trainings have led to a multitude of members getting equipped for and landing job opportunities. The member satisfaction in Pakistan has increased manifolds and the CPD program is taken as a benchmark by the global head office. (View Details)
- Represented and expedited for ACCA members in Pakistan to formally join the Taxation sector by getting joint events organized between the largest tax bar in Asia, LTBA and ACCA as Chairman Liaison Committee of LTBA.
- This resulted in increased footprint for ACCA and culminated in an MOU between both bodies signed by ACCA’s Head of Taxation (Global) giving a formal pathway to ACCA members towards the lucrative taxation practice. (View Details)
- Prior to this achievment, on my return from UK, I became the first ever ACCA to be enrolled as a member of a tax bar in Pakistan. This broke the monopoly of certain accountancy bodies there, created a precedent and opened up doors for ACCA members to join tax bars in Pakistan.
- Organized collaborations between ACCA and LCCI resulting in ACCA being duly recognized by and included in the committees of LCCI; hence cementing the footprints of ACCA & opening of job opportunities at leading businesses for ACCA members.
- Represented and/or introduced ACCA at various forums including LCCI, LTBA, MPDD, UET, several think tanks – being on their boards, e.t.c.
- Moreover, prepared ACCA’s taxation proposals for the joint initiative with LCCI. This was unprecedented as ACCA was the ONLY accountancy body to be involved in this endeavor.
- Helped organize and represented ACCA at the largest joint pre-budget seminar graced by dignitaries from all major tax bars, chambers, accountancy bodies and even the FBR team. Chairman FBR, the Chief Guest, highly appreciated the ACCA presentation by myself. This led to further enhanced footprint and acceptability of ACCA in Pakistan. (View Details)
- Proposed the idea of and assisted in ACCA’s practising liscence program for Pakistan.
- Became the first ever ACCA practising license holder in Pakistan as a test case to ensure a smooth journey for all ACCA members in Pakistan. (View Details)
- Similarly, my firm (Millennium Law & Corporate Company) became the Pioneer ACCA practising firm in Pakistan to create a case study for all ACCA members as well as bolstering the ACCA acceptance & footprints amongst professional firms. (View Details)
- Mentored a significant number of members, affiliates and students with their professional and personal inquiries, thereby contributing my share in the development of the ACCA community. (View Details)
- Initiated unprecedented forums for ACCA community to interact with each other and the ACCA officials with ease.
- Delivered the first ever “Thinking Ahead with ACCA” (a Ted Talk inspired program) on CPEC for enhanced recognition of ACCA in professional circles and increasing awareness of current issues within ACCA community. This is expected to be released soon globally.
- Chaired ACCA’s Taxation sub-committee and finalized the budget and taxation proposals in an unprecedented manner which will further enhance the recognition of ACCA’s technical prowess amongst the relevant circles.
- Recognized as a top professional to represent ACCA in the Professional Expert Forum.
These are just a few of the major endeavors, most of which were achieved in a very short span of time without being a part of the MNP.
Recognition by ACCA:
It was followed by few months being an MNP member as ACCA Pakistan in recognition of the outstanding achievements for ACCA community, nominated me as a technocrat member of the MNP. This allowed to further improve the deliverance for the collective benefit of the ACCA community.
Therefore as an elected MNP member, I’ll be able to more effectively pursue a lot of positive projects planned for the future, achieving the highest standards of excellence for the benefits of the ACCA community, InshaAllah.
Request for Vote, Support & Campaign:
But this can ONLY be possible with your support and trust. In view of the above, you’re humbly requested for your kind:
- vote for my MNP candidature
- support by asking your contacts for the same &
- campaigning by spreading this message and your recommendation on social media and elsewhere.
You shall be receiving an email from ACCA soon with the detailed instructions on the voting process.
Thanks in anticipation of a positive response. Please feel free to contact me as always for any support and suggestions.
myMfb.com: Omer Zaheer Meer
Twitter: @Omer Zaheer Meer