First part of the Interview with Mr. Gautam Chikermane, Executive Editor of Hindustan Time
1. Why did you launch Millat Facebook?
In protest of the blasphemous, anti-social and hypocritical events of ridiculising Prophet Muhammad (Saww) which were supported by FB.
- Despite requests from 100 of thousands of users, who reported the pages to FB but let alone taking any action they didn’t even bothered replying.
- They did reply to media though (BBC and Fox news) later on, saying that they FULLY SUPPORTED THESE EVENTS AND WOULD DO SO IN THE FUTURE IN THE NAME OF FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION.
- It’s very strange as the same FB administration speaking to the same BBC only last year stated that they cannot allow such abuse and hatred directed on the basis of religions, races, e.t.c. The only difference was that time it wasn’t about Islam but Holocaust and Racism (which we denounce too).
And now when people started creating anti-Holocaust pages on FB in protest of this hypocritical attitude of Mark’s FB to test the so-called Freedom of Expression, they not only removed the relevant pages but deleted their accounts too.
- There have been several emails to this effect. Below is the link to the detailed account of events by one such user who came out to speak against this with the proofs:
It is a shame that FB administration choose to indulge in supporting the defamation of Prophet Muhammad (Saww) who is a role model not just for Muslims but the entire humanity. Michael H Hart ranked Prophet Muhammad (Saww) at No 1 amongst the list of 100 most influential people in the history of mankind, in his well-known book “The 100” printed in 1978 and reprinted in1992. In it Hart asserted that Prophet Muhammad (Saww) was “supremely successful” in both the religious and secular realms.
I would further like to say we should all express our freedom and rights with sensibility, care and consideration for our fellow human beings. My freedom shouldn’t mean that I go out on the street and start hitting my neighbor every day and say ‘that’s my freedom’. No that would be an assault as for all internationally accepted laws and regulations, the freedom of a person ends where the freedom of another person starts. So why is it that when it comes to the Holocaust, or racism, this rule is respected, but when it comes to the Muslim faith, it’s not? Is it the new Holocaust for Muslims in the making?… The signs are the same
So Basically the objective is to provide a platform for all people, not only Muslims, but nice and decent people of all faiths, to come together and interact in a way that is socially responsible by providing them all the freedom of expression, however respecting each others’ sensitivities and faiths. [Facebook] seems to allow mockery of religions it has an issue with…
2. Why call it “facebook”?
Good question. Actually it is called Millat FaceBook and that’s because:
- just like a picture conveys more than a thousand words, it conveys, without speaking a single word what we are about which is: The Rival and alternate Facebook created by Muslims for all the decent people of all faiths to come together and interact in a socially responsible and considerate manner.
And we are NOT against Facebook name but the hate-mongering, Islamophobic and Anti-humane policies of the FB administration.
3. The color scheme, the fonts resemble Facebook. Why?
- The theme is certainly different, the logos, color scheme, e.t.c are unique.
- There are many different, additional and better features.
- However there may be a similar feel due to some common basics all social networking platforms have.
- It’s just like asking Toyota or BMW why they have an accelerator or gear box when Mercedes have them. Well these are the basic essentials but their designs, models and basically the products are different.
4. Aren’t you creating a social networking ghetto?
- Not at all.
- On the contrary we are offering an alternate platform where people of all faiths can come in harmony and interact besides also try to understand Muslims for what they really are and not what the popular biased propaganda portrays.
- And this is based on the teachings of our Prophet Muhammad (Saww) who created multi-religion communal harmony through “Mesaq-e-Medina” (Accord of Medina) which ensured that people of all faiths be it Muslims, Jews, Pagans or any other lived in peace and harmony.
- Millat Facebook is based on those same principles so creating any ghetto is certainly out of question.